Welcome – I’m so glad you’re here!
My name is Ashley Whatley, and I’m the face behind Stay Home Style! I am a wife, dog mom, and home design enthusiast who started this blog as a creative way to share my love of affordable home décor, intentional design, and DIY projects.
THE HEART BEHIND STAY HOME STYLE
In 2019, my husband and I started building our first home. From picking out floors and counter tops, to shopping for light fixtures and furniture, I really fell in love with the process of designing our home. After we moved into our house in early 2020, and staying home became the new normal, I really took some time to take in our new space and focus on being intentional about making our house feel like a home. I wanted to create a space that felt easy and relaxing, yet elevated and put together; a space that would make us want to stay home. This is definitely easier said than done, but I love the process of trying to create an intentional home design, all while working on a budget!
Our home continues to evolve and change as we work towards designing a space that really captures this “stay home style” feeling, but I am so excited to share this journey with you along the way! My hope is that this little corner of the internet will encourage you to really seek out your own style and inspire you to create a space that makes you feel comfortable, excited, and at home. At the end of the day, I want you to have a space that truly makes you want to be there, because to me, that’s the meaning of stay home style!
MORE ABOUT ME
- I exclusively drink iced coffee. My go to drink is always a good old iced vanilla latte!
- My husband and I met during undergrad at Auburn and we got married there three years later!
- I have a Bachelors degree in Mathematics from Auburn University (War Eagle!) and a Masters degree in Mathematics from the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- I also have a certificate in Interior Design from the College of Professional Studies at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- My first big DIY project was during Quarantine 2020! My husband and I did a laundry room makeover and it really sparked my love for DIY’s!
- My husband and I have a foster fail pup named Piglet! We decided to foster this little guy during Quarantine 2020, and he stole our hearts on day one. (Literally, we took him to a meet and greet with a potential adopter the day after we picked him up, and we ended up adopting him instead!) We love him to pieces!
- I live for the thrill of the deal. I’m always on the hunt for affordable options and good deals! Target, Amazon, and TJMaxx.com are go my go to places for literally anything!
- We have floating shelves around our mantel and I am constantly tweaking things here and there trying to get them perfect. (I am thoroughly convinced that perfectly styled shelves do not exist!)
- We love traveling! The number one place on my bucket list is Greece!
- I really love mixing different design styles.
- A few things I love in a design: neutrals, wood, linen, copper, gold, empire lamp shades, natural colors and textures, greenery, floating shelves, sentimental art, and layered rugs.
- I am constantly asking my husband to build things for my DIY projects. If you see any wood working involved, 9.5/10 times he’s the one behind it!
- Not really about me, BUT, most of the pretty pictures you see above and to the left were taken by Nathaly Norman! She took my graduation, engagement, wedding, in home, and puppy session pictures and she is absolutely amazing!